Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Day 27 Back to School Night- like no other

Today was a 'very important event' at BNDS.  It was the Welcome
Reception of all new International teachers to the National School.
We were told to dress in 'appropriate attire' for a 'very important
event.'  Not yet fully understanding the Chinese Way, one thing
I have quickly learned is that they like their pomp and circumstance.
I decided to break out my traditional Chinese dress I got in San
Francisco years ago.  I just haven't had many occasions to wear a
traditional Chinese dress, so today seemed as good of day as any.

Well, the traditional Chinese dress did not bring me any good fortune.  In fact,
I felt like I got more than the usual uncomfortable stares, which I did not understand.
It was a day of confusion from the very beginning.  My internet would not
connect and stay connected at work, the VPN would not connect, the new laptop
they gave me, I had yet to turn on, and when I did, of course, the whole thing was
in Chinese. Ok, that was a simple click of a button to change to English, but as for the
other technological issues, no less than four men were trying to figure out my
problems.  I hate that I am so technologically dependent, and so technologcially
impaired.  It frustrates me to no end.  By lunch time, I was still dead in the water at work.

So I went home to 'reboot myself' and recover from the morning's meltdown.
Nothing like a little 'kid food' to put the smile back on my face- a strawberry
jam sammich with the crusts cut off.  Now the Chinese LOVE their packaged foods,
 and most of it scares me, but this little tasty treat put the happy back in my soul.
By mid-afternoon, Li Ang came to my rescue, with even more computer techies in tow, and I was finally up and running.  I hated to turn my computer off to go attend the reception as I was afraid all of my working technology may decide to give up the ghost.  However, duty of another sort was calling.


The Welcome Reception started at 6:00, and this display was there to
greet us when we entered the banquet hall.  Can you find me?

I picked up my name tag, and was ready to see what was behind
Door #1...

Wow! This was a beautiful catered reception...I felt like I walked on to a
cruise ship.  Things were looking up :)

This is Dawna and Betty.  Betty is the Director of the International Department
of BNDS.  We have over 600 students and 90+ faculty members in our
department.  Betty had been working tirelessly on this 'very important event'
for weeks, as it is her turn to showcase her program and faculty to the Principal
of all of BNDS- who is an 'appointed government official'.  In a word, he is
'a Very Important Man' in Beijing.  Good to know.  I shall not soon forget.
Meanwhile, Dawna is an invaluable support as Betty's right hand woman, but
 even more so, she takes care of all the teachers, their materials, salaries, 
reimbursements, and our stupid questions- the woman is a saint.  
I would be lost without her.  She reminds me of you, Wanetta :)
Soon, everyone seemed to have gathered, and the lights were dimmed....what was happening?  Out on the stage came five couples...the men in suits, the women in prom dresses, all wearing headsets.  I can only assume they were singing some sort of welcoming song to us all.  It was hard for me to concentrate as not a person sang in key and the choreography needed some serious work.  (I thought the Chinese way involved a whole lot of karaoke?)  Jeanette and I stood their dumbfounded, with smiles frozen on our faces.  I whispered into her ear, "I think we walked on to the bad Chinese cruise ship."  To which she replied, "Look over there, they are setting up an open bar."

Jeanette, they're popping the champagne over there!

Just then, it was the end of their welcoming number (insert jazz hands here) and out ran two grown men, also in suits, with confetti poppers in their hands to spray confetti all over the stage.  Wowzer! Maybe this is a Chinese game show instead?  Nope, it was time to line up.  It was our turn to be paraded across the stage with introductions.  (Is the bar open yet, please?)  We lined up no less than three times, in two different locations, because we must 'get it right' for this 'most important event.' Except, it didn't seem all that important to the National School teachers who were there in attendance. They were chattin' it up like it was ol' homecoming week, and not a soul was paying a bit of attention to what was happening on stage.  They like their pomp and circumstance, but nobody watches or listens. I guess it also is the Chinese way.

The new National Teachers were introduced, as well.  As our names were called,
we walked awkwardly to the center stage, smiled and gave a 'queen wave' (jk)
to the (in)attentive crowd, as they read our 'very important credentials' (we
are foreign experts, afterall) and then they said a few words that were shared
by our students.  My students described me as a 'fun and dynamic teacher
who always has a smile.'  Well let's hope I can live up to that this winter
when it's blowing snow outside and the AQI is up over 450. shmh.
There was more introductions and speeches, more parades, more pomp, and more circumstance, none of which we understood...

Except every now and then, the crowd would shout, "In BNDS We Fly
Together!"  I don't know when we're leaving, or where we all are flying to,
but if it involves champagne and peace doves, I AM ALL IN!!!
With that, the night just got more hysterical...except that it was no laughing matter.
I was reminded of the time Donnie told the story about some Grand PooBaa
 reception that his hills-of-Kentucky grandmother attended.  It sounded like grown
women stood up, sat down, and paraded around in their prom gowns, too.
Grandma, not understanding what all the fuss was about, and getting a little
disgusted with all the standing up and sitting down, loudly said at the next
parade of gowns, "LOOK, YONDER, THERE THEY GO 'ROUND AGAIN!"
This evening was shaping up to be a Grand PooBaa event, for sure.
Please pass the champagne.

We all feasted on the goodies.  These are my friends, Alejandro, Hank
and Zuong.  Behind Zuong was the bar...where we stayed close to the champagne.
Champagne at a 'back to school night' for faculty?  WHO DOES THAT???

Ummm yes, please!  And when the champagne was all gone,
we moved on to the 'tickle me' sparkling red wine.
Again, who has an open bar for back to school night?! 

There were lots of selfies taken that night- must have been the champagne!
Paige, the new dance teacher from Denver, performed a very cool modern
dance number.  And Rob, the music and guitar teacher from New York, did
an amazing piano solo that was incredibly difficult.  I think he even impressed
the Chinese with his piano playing :)  The two 'hosts' wanted their picture
with him, so Sarah, Jeanette, Alejandra, Zuong and I all jumped in, too :)
The crowd finally silenced themselves for the Principal's
speech.  He is, after all, a 'very important man.'
Santosh (AP Physics), Frank, and Mark (AP/IB Principal)
were listening intently, but Brandon (AP Chemistry) was
busy photo bombing...he was into the bubbly, too :)
Let's be real...we all were.

After the Very Important Man concluded his remarks, we
were all presented with a gift from him...a book. In Mandarin.
We smiled, nodded, and graciously accepted our gifts.
Clearly, Alejandra and I need to work on our Mandarin.  
Seriously, though, the party was lovely (who serves champagne for back to school night?!).  BNDS has gone out of their way to make sure their 'foreign experts' are treated kindly, have comfortable homes, and all the resources they need to prepare these kids for universities in the United States. (Only 1% will end up in the UK, Canada, Australia, or remaining in China).  It has been an incredible first four weeks here, and it is safe to say that we are all very happy with our present situation.  Life is good...and when there's champagne involved?!  Life is great!!! :)  G'nite, y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment