Monday, June 8, 2015

Day 282 Birthday blessings

Unless you have been deployed overseas in the military, it is difficult to describe what it truly is like living abroad.  Whether you chose a life of service in the Armed Forces, Uncle Sam drafted you to duty, or you chose to make the leap and seek employment abroad, you are presented with unique challenges in such a major change of lifestyle.  

Everything you know, and all that is comfortable and familiar to you, is suddenly no more.  Gone are the family dinners around the table.  Gone are the girls' nights out with your closest besties.  Gone are the traditions of American culture like Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas gatherings, Memorial Day parades, and Fourth of July picnics.  Gone are your extended friends and family, especially your church family.  Gone are the simple things like a game of cornhole in the front yard, tailgating a football game, or sitting around a bonfire.  These are some of the many things I some days desperately miss. 

So much is lost in the process of moving abroad.  You try to tell yourself that so much more is gained by this new experience, this new chapter in your life.  Some days that rings true; the adventures of travel to countries and cultures that are unfamiliar can be incredibly amazing.  Other days you are struck with pangs of loneliness, missing everyone and every thing about 'back home.'  You also come to discover which friends remain standing, and you discover new friends in your life abroad who will stand in the gap.  

I have been very blessed to make new friends.  It has been a matter of survival. With the absence of family, your friends abroad become your everything, family included.  I can fully appreciate how a soldier's platoon or squadron feels like family.  I can also appreciate how much any communication from 'home' means the world to someone living halfway around the world.  Technology just doesn't replace spoken words and human connection.  Besides of which, technological issues are a reality here where we must VPN our way around the Great China Firewall.  Alas....

I celebrated my 52nd birthday this past Sunday.  It's hard to believe I have been on this earth for fifty two years.  Some days I feel every day of it, and other times I cannot fathom I am this old.  In my mind, I feel half my age. I can appreciate the words of my 101 year old grandmother who also would say, "In my mind I am just 50, but my body is giving out!"  This birthday I was blessed to share the evening with some of my closest and treasured friends here in Beijing.  They truly lift me up, make me smile, and make me feel appreciated and loved, each and every day.  We all are there for one another to survive "The China."  We each take our turn at our bad days, the frustrating days, the lonely days, but invariably someone within our circle will step forward to extend a helping hand, offer a much needed hug, or a well-deserved glass of wine :)


This is Kirsten, one of my first 'fast friends' here.  She hails
from Wisconsin, via Taiwan, and we were on the same flight
together from the USA to PEK last August.  We have been
on hikes together, done some exploring together around
Beijing, and I appreciate her so much.  We are on the
city bus here, heading out to celebrate my birthday dinner.


Of course, on the left is my Beijing Bestie, Jeanette, who hails
Missouri.  We have shared so many adventures together
already; I cannot wait for many more.  Everyday is an
adventure with her, and I truly love her.  She is the best,
and she organized this birthday celebration :)  With her is
Robert, one of several "Florida Keys" connections, as he
hails from Key Largo.  He has become a trusted friend, too.
We have much in common, and he is my go-to man
when I have technological issues- which sadly, is often.
He is a patient and kind man, and a talented musician, too :)

I was blessed to meet this adorable couple the minute I landed
in PEK.  Alejandra hails from Honduras, and her husband Eric,
is from Chicago- my favorite city in the US, where I have spent
a lot of time.  We were on the Harbin trip together over
New Year's, we are apartment neighbors, and Eric and I are
office mates. They are two treasured friends in Beijing-
just plain "good people".  Here they are giving me their
best ridiculous Chinese poses here, lol. I heart them.

Here is Kirsten again, with my friend Carlos, who hails from
Texas, by way of New York and Puerto Rico :)  Carlos is
my office mate and neighbor, too.  He also is a veteran of
the US Army, and for that alone, he has my utmost respect.
This boy loves the night life in Beijing, and when this old
broad is up to joining all the kids on a night out on the town,
Carlos is sure to be in the thick of things!  Otherwise, he
is another one of my 'kids' that Momma K dotes on when
he is feeling sickly, which was often the first semester.
When I am tired of cooking for one, he is always a willing taker :)
   
To celebrate your birthday with your special someone,
well, that's just special :)  It was his first time to partake
in "hot pot", which is a traditional Chinese meal.  I
really enjoy "hot pot" and it's all the more fun with friends.

My Beijing bestie organized a card shower
for me in my mailbox when I returned to work
on Monday.  It was such an unexpected
surprise, I literally smiled all day long
as I read through all of the hand made cards :)
This was from my other office mate, Kathy,
my 'similar age' friend who hails from Canada.
Clearly, she knows me well- what a beautiful card!

Little Calliope got in on the birthday surprise
for "Auntie Karyn" with the help of her daddy
and my fellow Hoosier friend, Brandon, and
his Filipino wife, Maria.  I love this family.

Of course, Jeanette lead the pack with a
beautiful card and sweet words :)

And I had to show this one from my friend "other Rob"
who hails from NYC.  He's also a fabulous musician, and
a good friend.  We laugh at the crazy Chinglish signs and
Tshirts that we find, so he made me a Chinglish birthday card.
It cracked my a$$ up!  Especially the Chinglish sentiment
that he signed, as this is the kind of Chinglish writings I
have to grade :)  He NAILED it!!!  Freakin' hilarious :)
Here's "other Rob" who has played many gigs with different
groups throughout Beijing.  Bass, lead, drums, lead singer,
acoustic sets- he does it all.  Len and I saw him perform
at Homeplate in Sunlitun last weekend.  Always a good time :)
So with another birthday in the books, I am reminded that in spite of the many changes in my life this past year, I am not only surviving, I am thriving. Family is good. Friends are good. God is good. All the time.  Thank you all for your well wishes.  I treasured them all.

G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment