Saturday, August 29, 2015

Day 362 Crab Island- Chinese water park :)

Since I got back to the PRC, it has been hot, as in BLAZIN' HOT!  The good news is the air has been relatively clear, with blue skies most days- unlike the yellow, putrid filth we flew into a year ago this time.

Why the change?

China is working to put her best face on, and best foot forward, for all the world to see when they celebrate the 70th anniversary of the "Chinese People's War of Resistance against the Japanese and the World Anti-Fascist War." All kinds of hoopla is planned this week, culminating in a full blown military parade at Tiananmen Square.  For more on the significance of this celebration in the PRC's capital city, see this article: September Holiday and Military Parade

For me personally, the timing is especially keen, as it was only last week that I was at Pearl Harbor revisiting some related significant American history with my girls.  The Hawaii blog(s) is still forthcoming...

A couple of days ago, as I took care of some business
in the alley market and at the grocery, I passed this
"sleepy sheepy" randomly placed on the sidewalk.
It was not in front of a bed mattress store.
The randomness of China just makes me smile :)
Yesterday, as I made my way all the way to the
northeast side of Beijing to go to a water park,
I was astounded by the number of police, military
soldiers, and those on security that are stationed at
every corner, every stop, on every bridge, all over
the city. Their presence is felt everywhere.  When
I popped up from the subway last evening, and
exited by the grocery store I had been to just two
days before, there was now a portable police
station standing there in the grocery parking lot, that

had not been there two days before. Things happen
that FAST in China. I did not snap any photos of 
the armed soldiers and police that were present; 
they do not take kindly to having their photograph taken.
I do not take kindly to the thought of a red jail.

The good news is after four subway exchanges, an argument with
a cab driver, and nearly two hours of travel, I made it to Crab
Island- a water park!  They had a wave pool :)

Complete with Chinese babies digging in the sand (i.e. dirt).
They had kid size back hoes for them to really dig deep!

There was a huge wade pool area with all kinds of
waterfalls and sprinklers and such to play in...

naked babies and children were everywhere.

Most adults, however, were covered up in
swim dresses,

...under umbrellas...
...or in tents.  I was severely under dressed in my bikini.

They had a lazy river for kayaking or tubing.

...or you could just wear your child's tube
on your head for sun protection, I guess.
These two girls took Chinese bathing suit
fashion to a whole new level.  After all of
their primping, they never did get wet, and
only stayed 'exposed' for about fifteen minutes.
Then they were covered up and back in the tent.

Still, it was a fun afternoon for a little bit of sunshine, a lot
of people watching, and some fun tubing down the curly slides.
I am a kid at heart; I cannot resist a water slide ;)

I couldn't help but notice this young woman's back.
Cupping is an ancient form of traditional Chinese
medicine that dates back centuries.  While it is
believed to help all sorts of ailments, from migraines
to infertility, to arthritis and more, there is little
research to support the beneficial uses of cupping.
I have seen some of my students at school with
cupping bruises on their back and neck- also
believed to help improve memory.  All I know
is that I won't be trying it any time soon- I bruise
easily as it is, and it looks incredibly painful.

To end on a happier note, I love how Chinese adults, even elders, love to laugh, play and have fun, just as children do.  I see their reckless abandon for fun all the time, and it is endearing...

  

G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment