Sunday, September 13, 2015

Day 378 A woman with a mission

Sunday morning was a repeat gorgeous day of yesterday,
so it was time to get outside yet again.  I cannot stay inside
when the sun is shining and the air is CLEAN.  Kevin and
I headed to Jeanette's hutong 'hood to visit a Farmer's Market.

I got the most amazing seedless organic purple grapes!
Seedless grapes are a rarity in China. So tasty :)
After our shopping excursion, we went next door
for mimosas and Sunday Brunch- also soooo tasty!

After brunch, I bid my goodbyes and hopped on the #4 line
to Xisi.  I was on a mission for my guy.  First stop though,
was to watch the locals throw down some dominoes and cash!

So, the stainless fridge and granite counters got installed this
week on our home. Len has been busy painting cabinets,
installing new drawer slides, hardware, the waterline for
the fridge, new water filters and such.  He had a request...

We cut down an old microwave cabinet, and have plans to
re-purpose it as a plate rack to display my fiesta ware.  Len's
idea was to make the dowel dividers out of stainless steel, to
match our lighting, appliances, hardware and such.  Loved it!
Since stainless is so much cheaper in China, I was on a quest
to find 8mm stainless steel tubing- and to get thirty pieces
cut in one foot lengths each.  This was going to take some
doing.  Armed with Google translate, a tape measure, some
photos, and ready for a serious game of charades, I headed to
Xisi, which is a street of one 'hardware' stall after another.
You can find the most random things there.

I struck stainless on the first stall!  Grandpa
and grandson were all too eager to help a poor laowai.

Chinese ingenuity at its finest ;)  It took an hour for
the two grandsons to cut them all. Grandpa gave out
after the first two cuts. It was no easy feat.

By golly, I was able to git 'er done!  The best
news?  I will be hand delivering them to my
love in just seventeen days, and we will
install them TOGETHER.
That's right; I am flying to FL for Golden Week :)

My giggle for the day came when I popped up from the subway
in my neighborhood.  There's a new store coming to this side
of town.  Wumart!  You read that right.  Oh, China :)


So maybe next trip to the "hardware", I'll buy a new toilet for the school?!



G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment