Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Day 373 What's normal?

Chinese students have a hard time understanding psychology.  The subject, and it's practices, are not an acceptable part of their culture.  They believe psychology is something magical or mystical.  I have my work cut out for me in countering the myths, and in breaking with Chinese traditions. Simply put, I share with them that psychology is the study of behavior and mental processes. Then I realize I have to break those words down further.  So I explain, in psychology we are interested in answering Why?

Why do people think the way that they do?

Why do people feel the way that they do?

And why do people behave the way that they do?

Psychologists are interested in and curious about human behavior. The light bulb begins to switch on.

Though it is only day two of school, already they are challenged by the words I use, and the language I speak- and I don't just mean the English language.  As with any course of study, there is a vocabulary and language all its own. My colleagues and I all spend a great deal of time front loading vocabulary terms before we can ever begin the process of teaching. So for me, trying to explain abnormal psychology, or psychopathology, or mental illness in a culture that does not readily acknowledge mental health issues, adds a whole other layer to the challenges of teaching.  Couple this with my frequent use of idioms and analogies, for a group of kids who take things very literally, much gets lost in the translation.  Throw in my Midwestern/southern accent with a few y'alls, and some slang terms for good measure, and they become completely dumbfounded.  Speaking LOUDLY or S-L-O-W-L-Y does not help them to comprehend, yet we all catch ourselves doing it!  I call it "speaking whale", from one of my all time favorite movies :)


Teaching Chinese kids is a challenge, sometimes more difficult than speaking whale :)  My keys to survival?  Cuban coffee, use humor to connect, and check for understanding- alot.

Back to psychology...

The Chinese can be very somatic-y.  They have many medical complaints of feeling tired, not feeling well, having no energy, having trouble sleeping, having an upset stomach, having trouble concentrating, gaining weight, losing weight, etc., etc., etc. They will seek medical care for these complaints, or resort to traditional Chinese medicine for solutions. Seldom, if ever, though, does a practitioner pursue their list of concerns as potential symptoms of a mood or anxiety disorder, or even worse.  There are many dirty little secrets in China, and mental illness is one of them.  My Chinese doctor and I (she studied at the University of Kentucky) have had this very conversation.  In fact, I may begin carrying a small caseload at their outpatient clinic, as she and her colleagues in the group practice are recognizing a real need to refer some of their patients.  Actually, I am pretty excited about that potential opportunity.

So today, in defining abnormal behavior, I tried to explain that we often look to statistical or social norms. Back the truck up.  Now I have to explain what a 'norm' is.  I share with them that a norm is what is considered socially acceptable behavior.  I call on Artemis (that's HER name), "Why are you not standing on your desk right now, singing at the top of your lungs?!"  (Oops, I have to explain that 'singing at the top of your lungs' means to sing VERY LOUDLY, to which I climb up and demonstrate).  I get shy giggles, but they get it, "That's not proper behavior in a classroom," she says. Right, so our behavior can be influenced by the setting we are in. If you were to sing at the top of your lungs as you walk in to the choir room, that would be considered 'normal' and acceptable behavior.

Next I ask Laurence, (that's HER name), "Are there things you might say, or words you might use, when you are speaking with your best friend that you would never say to your grandparents?"  More shy giggles. I ask Boblin, (that's HIS name), "Would you drop the F bomb in front of Grandma?"  I don't have to explain what the F bomb is- that one they GET.  So I explain, our behavior is shaped and influenced by the people we are with...what may be 'normal' with your friends, may be socially unacceptable with your family.

Lastly, I explain that social norms are also defined by our culture.  This is one of the biggest things one must adapt to when moving halfway around the world.  I tell them, one year from now, when you set foot at your American college or university, the culture you will find yourself in is SO VERY DIFFERENT from what you know.  Things that seem 'normal' or 'acceptable' to you, are no longer true.

Children's genitalia exposed in split pants?  Completely unacceptable in the Western world.

Blowing your nose without a tissue onto the sidewalk, or any surface?  Unacceptable

Squatting over a hole to pee?  Nope

Eating with chopsticks? (only if you ask for them at the Chinese restaurant)

Dropping trowel to urinate or defecate anywhere in public view?  You could get arrested.

Sticking your chopsticks (eating utensils) into the serving dish of noodles and eating it?  Nope, we use a serving utensil, and put the food on our plate if we want more.

Smacking trees as a form of exercise to get your blood flowing?  That would definitely be viewed as abnormal, or a violation of social norms!

All of these things they giggle at, but now I have their interest.  We have connected, and the school year is off and running.

It's been just two days, and I am already exhausted.




Speaking of "what's normal", there's another dirty little secret in China that is causing a lot of flack. Last year they lifted the One Child Policy- of sorts.  If Mom was an only child, and Dad was an only child, and together they have only one child, couples are now permitted to have a second child.  But with everything in the China, there are many rules and regulations that goes along with it.  I read this article today, and I would be very curious to hear your feedback on the subject.  Clearly, China has very different views about what is both normal and socially acceptable.  In many cases, violations of what we may perceive as 'normal' may be straight up illegal here.  Have a read:  One Child Policy, and share your comments if you'd like.

G'nite, y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment