Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 60- creature comforts

It's my two month anniversary in China today; boots on the ground for sixty days already.

It's been bad air days for several days running now- all
through the weekend and today.  The AQI was up over 323
indicating 'severely polluted'.  Down at the US Embassy,
is was over 400 which is a red flag 'hazardous' warning.
When you see the locals out and about masked up, you know
it must be bad.  For me, I wear my mask anytime it goes
over 200.  At an AQI of just 100, I lose my mountain view :(

I know now why they pay us Westerners so well here.  You don't realize how important clean air, clean water, clean food, and good sanitation is until those most basic of things are in question.  It's interesting, in the last twenty years, building a 'bigger and better China' has improved the quality of living in many ways.  We have heard several times that the opportunities for Chinese, and the ability to acquire wealth is better than it has ever been.  But the overall happiness of the Chinese people is not good, we are told.  While they have money, and many now can travel and own cars, they are most unhappy about no longer having clean water, clean food, and most of all- clean air.  I would have to agree with them on that part- I miss the bright blue skies- the joy of taking a nice deep breath of fresh air.  When I have to deal with the bitter cold winters, and the even worse dirty air, I wonder if this job, my salary, will really be worth it?

As I was walking home, snaking my way through the rush hour traffic, a song popped in my head.  I couldn't think of who sang it, but the chorus went something like this, "...sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe just to love you.  All I need is the air that I breathe...."  Can you name that tune?  I had to look it up when I got home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duPNQCp-w4  It's a blast back to 1974, lol.  (The Hollies :)

So what's a girl to do to soothe her headache, itchy eyes, and sore throat from all the smog???

Make some comfort food to remind her of home- chicken noodles, real
mashed potatoes, fresh broccoli, and bread with butter.
I ate myself into a carb coma, happy and fat as a new pup, put on my bright red new house slippers (only in China could I wear slippers as bright red as these!) and watched the Colts take it to the Bengals on NFL Rewind.  Not a bad way to spend an evening, if you ask me.

G-nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment