Thursday, August 28, 2014

Day 8- Much to smile about :)

Today was essentially a 'work day' for all of us here at school.  A few meetings, brief in duration, and lots of down time to get organized and prepared for the start of the school year this coming Monday.  The good news has been our day ends mid-afternoon so there is plenty time for exploring.  Today is also our last work day of the week.  Our weekend is Friday and Saturday, as we have to report on Sunday for the Back to School assembly and grade level parent meetings.

Because I been here just a week in Beijing, my senses are acute to taking in all the newness around me; new things to see, new things to hear, new things to taste, new things to smell (the acrid air as a distinct smell all its own, sadly), new things to touch and figure out.  So much newness to this life.  I am like a kid in a candy store; I don't want to miss a thing.  I have the curiosity of a child as well, trying to comprehend whatever it is my senses are detecting.  I am in sensory overdrive, trying to take in this strange, new world around me.  In all the newness, though I catch myself smiling all the time, and down right giggling at other times.

This life in China is a complete 180 degrees for a country girl who lives in a log cabin much of the year, and on a sailboat for the winter season.  To think this country mouse is now living the life as a city mouse in a language, culture, and country she does not understand is more than a tad bit overwhelming.  I don't want to give the wrong impression, however.  I am not overwhelmed, not like
on-the-verge-of-tears-and-about-to-crash-and-burn overwhelmed. In fact, it is just the opposite kind of overwhelmed.  After the difficult, emotional summer I have had, I half expected I would have regular, reoccurring breakdowns until I could finally settle in to adjustment.  For now, I have been pleasantly surprised.  I'm hanging in there!  I'm not only "surviving China", I actually feel like I am thriving in China.  I am sure there will be my 'down days', but I am relishing in all the good days I have had thus far.  I feel energized like a child, living this strange new life with the wonderment of a child.  I have been singing and dancing in my office, my apartment, and along the street with reckless abandon like a child.  My faith, my strong will, (I have been called 'spirited') and my sense of humor are seeing me through.  I am smiling y'all, and it feels so good.

Sometimes there things that strike me funny, and I catch myself smiling....

Such as the dogs...So. Many. Dogs. in Beijing.  They are small dogs, primarily.  You don't see a Great Dane or a German Shepherd, there simply isn't the room for a large dog in this city of 22 million.  (I could be wrong, and most certainly politically incorrect, but maybe the big dogs are reserved for 'special occasions'- like Thanksgiving- except they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here.  I don't recall the Pilgrims landing on the shores of China.)  So there are small dogs here....lots of small dogs....particularly poodles.  In my trek to the bank over my lunch break, I pass by a veterinary clinic and there is always a line of people and pets waiting to be bathed, curled, coiffed, and such.  I saw a first today, and I busted out laughing....

What is not plainly seen in this picture was a poodle I called 'FiFi'- I mean she
was FiFi-ed up!  She was groomed like a poodle with the poofy socks,
tail and top.  What cracked me up was this black/grey coated poodle's head,
ears, and tail were all dyed a bright cherry red- with matching red toe nails.
Really?!  People dye their dog's fur?!  I half expected Fifi to speak in her
best Chinese accent, trying to proposition me for a "massageeee"  Wowzer.
What?!  There's a bakery in my neighborhood?!  I was so happy to see this.
I walked in just to savor the yeast smell and see what tasty treats I
want to try.  In all of my travels, whether the Caribbean, South America,
Central America or Europe, I always hit up the first bakery I find! 
Watching the Chinese women working in the bakery reminded me of the
candy factory episode with Lucy and Ethel...and I couldn't help but burst
out laughing imagining a Chinese version of Lucy and Ethel :)))
Each day that I pass by them now, I tap the window, wave and say
"Ni hao Lucy and Ethel!"  I'm sure they think I am a crazy ba'ire'n..
When I returned from the bank and was entering the school, I had to smile
yet again.  By and large, I am impressed by the Chinese- they are worker
bees, and this city is under the constant buzz of construction workers and
equipment.  It does not stop, day and night, you hear the noise of building
and growth.  However, this scene made me chuckle.  I guess all over the
world you have those people that make a better straw boss than a worker!
It takes four guys to supervise the two who were washing windows :) 
I stepped out of the elevator to return to my office, and I passed by the
conference room where our meetings have taken place.  The door was closed
and I could hear the animated Mandarin chatter.  I never noticed the sign
before as the door has always been open when we arrive for our morning
meetings.  You mean there's a party going on in there?! For Party members
only?!  You mean I wasn't invited?!  Is there cake, ice cream and balloons
involved in this party?!  What kind of fun activities are planned for this party?!
What's a person have to do to become a Party Member?!  I love activities!!!
Can Somebody answer my curious questions?!  lollllzzzzz.
I took my friend Alejandra to show her the correct bus
to hop on to get to the Walmart.  The stop is just around
the corner of our school, so it will be really convenient for
errands that need to be run after school.  She had a few
things to get, and pouring over the strange things I
see, smell, taste, and touch in the grocery store is one
of my favorite things to do.  We girls were lamenting about
our need for a pedicure, and how we miss some of our
favorite girlie products- like a face mask, for example.  There
was an entire aisle devoted to face masks- for like 50 cents!
Thankfully, they had English translations on most of them.
What we did not see at first was the word "whitening"-
which is a 'matter of great importance' to Chinese women.
We had a good laugh over that one. She is Honduran, and
still have my Keys tan....if we had mistakenly used the whitening
masks, we might have come out looking like a leopard!
Both of us girls, like my Emily, love our juice!  We were so
happy to find mango juice here in Beijing.  Y'all know how
much I love mangoes from living in the Keys.  This was the
real deal- with little bits of mango in it.  YUM!  I now have my
new favorite juice, for under 40 cents a bottle.  I am slayed
that getting a cold drink at a check out is anywhere from 15
to 50 cents.  it's at least two bucks at home, and typically more.
The last smile of the day came as I was walking back home through my
apartment compound.  There are Rose of Sharon shrubs and Black Eyed
Susan flowers, just like I have in my yard back home in Indiana.  It's nice
 to be reminded of home in a strange new land.
And....if any of you are interested in a hysterical book about life in China, I highly recommend the book Lost on Planet China: The Strange and True Story of One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation by J. Maarten Troost. Here's a link for more info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Maarten_Troost  He is freakin' hilarious!  I am reading it for the third time. It is my last chuckle of the day, as I am now enjoying it yet again before I go to bed.  I laughed out loud reading it previously, but now that I am experiencing China for the first time for myself, I belly laughed until I cried last night.  In fact, I was up well after 2:00am, because I just couldn't put it down.  Check it out- it's guaranteed to make you smile, too :)))  G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment