Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day 1- halfway around the world

What a long strange trip it has been.  Some may say I have lost my mind.  Others may say I have the wanderlust beyond measure.  Those closest to me may say I am having a mid-life crisis.  In all likelihood, all these statements are true.  What I do know is this, what started out as a very frustrated reaction to Obamacare ended up with me teaching AP Psychology in Beijing, China.  Go figure.  What started as an opportunity for my husband of eighteen years and I to see and explore another part of the world, has ended up with me on this adventure alone. It was my choice, not his.  From living in a log cabin in a woods outside of a town of 2500 people seven months out of the year, to living on Marquesa (an O'Day 34' sailboat for five months out of the year- see marquesa34.blogspot.com ), has now led me to being single, in an apartment, in a city of 22 million people, give or take.  Like I said, what a long strange trip it has been- and that has only been in the last four months.  Now, let me back up to the last five days...

On August 19th, I bid goodbye to the Florida Keys, and
began my two day sojourn to Beijing.  My brother, Kent,
was gracious enough to meet me at the Indianapolis
Airport at 10:30pm to bring me my luggage packed for China.
This was my life from 11pm until 4am when the Air Canada counter opened
and I could check my life away- Indy to Toronto, Toronto to Vancouver, then
Vancouver to Beijing.  The airport is empty as you can see above because
in the midst of my overnight wait, a tornado warning was issued, and what
few people were there all scattered to the nearest shelter- where ever that
was, I have no idea.  Since I could not easily manage a backpack, my laptop,
four suitcases and my beloved pillow in quick fashion, I decided to sit
out the storm.  In a glass atrium.  And hope for the best.  No worries :)
I savored the beautiful blue sky from my window seat.  I knew in my heart
that by living in Beijing for a year, my 'beautiful blue sky days' were
likely numbered.  I thought our route would take us on a long hop across
a very big pond, the Pacific Ocean, but we flew mostly over Canada, the
Bering Sea (where I gave a shout out to Sig Hanson and crew on the
Northwestern), passing over Russia, and nearly eleven hours later- China.
I made it!  It only took me until 2:30pm local time on Thursday,
August 21st.  There is a 12 hour time difference, afterall.  Still, from
 the time I left the Florida Keys, it was a solid two days of travel.
Despite feeling filthy, sweaty (OMG it is HOT in Beijing!) and
incredibly sleep deprived, I was all smiles here.  I was one of the
luckier ones- all four pieces of my luggage made it with me :)
After passing through customs, and meeting my first colleague, Kirsten,
we easily found our new Chinese friends from Beijing National Day School,
holding signs in their hands with our name on them.  We were quickly joined
with five other teachers for a 1.5 hour van ride to our new homes. Along the way,
we passed the Olympic Park, and I caught a glimpse of the famous 'bird's nest'
stadium.  See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_National_Stadium
I was delivered to my apartment, which is in a gated complex of 27 buildings.
I am in building 24, tower 4, on the ninth floor.  I was pleasantly surprised to
 see that somebody had already been IKEA shopping for us- all new basic
necessities to get set up for the time being.  I tore into my luggage for a
package of Spanish rice, called it dinner, took a much needed shower,
and collapsed into bed.  More on the apartment to come...let's just say
the good Lord was looking out for this girl, because I hit the apartment
lottery compared to most of my teacher friends.  Praise God!

As the internet service has been quite sketchy the first several days, be patient with me as I get caught up on the blogging.  Just know that all is well.  While I am likely in the 'honeymoon phase' of this new life in Beijing, everything, and I mean everything, has surpassed any expectations I may have held.  Life is good, people :)

2 comments:

  1. So glad your safe and all is well. Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear all is well. We were wondering how things were going, we were thinking about you several times over the weekend. Love you Rinnie.

    ReplyDelete