Thursday, September 1, 2016

Day 736 Physical Touch

Those who know me, (and my Chinese babies are now accustomed to this) I am a toucher and a hugger.  It's just who I am; always have been, always will be.  I believe there can be great comfort and healing in touch.  There can also be pain, so we must be mindful of how we touch.

I have been dealing with a toothache from hell.  It started weeks before I returned to the 'jing.  By the time I landed back in China, I was pretty sure I was in for some major dental work.  I was right.

I was so crazy busy the minute I landed, tending to the newbies, I just kept popping Tylenol and kept on with things.  As it turned out, the first time I could get in to the dentist was also the first day of students at school.  Terrific.  I had a couple hours free before my first class, just enough time to get a root canal.  They opened the clinic 20 minutes early to be sure I wouldn't be late for my student's first day. The Chinese really are SO NICE.


So, off I went, butts to nuts on the subway with all the other
early morning commuters at the height of morning rush hour.
While some of my friends have chosen to live in the hutongs,
you could not pay me enough money to make this commute-
twice a day, no less.  Did I mention my whole face was throbbing?!

Fortunately the Dental Clinic is straight up Line 1, in the
middle of the Financial District and near the Second Ring Road.
I don't know what this statue is about, but amidst all the banks
and such is a lovely green space.  Beijing has beautiful green spaces.

As I walked along to the dentist, at nearly every
crossroad, there were these green ceramic things
on the sidewalks.  Curiosity finally got the best of
me and I stopped to have a look. YIKES! Rat poison!!
(I hate to admit, I have seen two rats already in the
two weeks I have been back.)  I had only seen one
in the previous two years, but Beijing had record
rainfall and flooding in the month of July.
It must have flushed all the vermin out- ewww.

Surrounded by modern glass buildings is an
ancient temple that has been beautifully restored.

And on the temple's courtyard, some old folks were
practicing tai chi forms with swords- very cool :)
It was a lovely morning walk on the way to the dentist chair.
(Have I mentioned I strongly dislike going to the dentist?)

The root canal was as expected; I've been through one before.  She offered pain medicine, and I respectfully declined. (I lived to regret that decision about 8 hours later, and on in to the next three days- OUCH) True to her word, though, she got me back on my way to school in exactly an hour. Still worried that I might be late for my first class of the school year, I rushed all the way back to BNDS from the Yuquanlu subway stop.

I must have looked a bit frazzled, and in pain, when I jumped on the elevator.  There stood the ayi who cleaned the floor my classroom was on last school year.  I had not seen her yet this year as we are in a new building, and I am up on the sixth floor.  She knows my Mandarin is terrible, as I basically get stuck after the typical greetings and pleasantries.  Nonetheless, we would smile, and chitter away, her in Mandarin, me in English.  Often she could compliment me about my green eyes, or my hair, or the clothes I was wearing that day.  Such a sweetheart.  Again, the Chinese are SO NICE.

Well I must have had a different look on my face when I got in the elevator.  Though it was the first we had seen each other in nearly two months, after the welcome back hugs, she looked at me and smiled...and then something funny happened...

She stopped the usual chittering, and grabbed my hand.  She patted it, and stroked it, and tightly held on to it.  I was in pain, and I was stressed, and she chose to stay with me and ride all the way up. She closed the door where she was to get off, and continued up to my floor.  Just her and I, and her holding and patting my hand. Something transcended the usual language barrier that morning.  It reduced me to tears..

...because it was just the physical touch I so desperately needed, right at that very moment.

There are angels everywhere.

I met one this morning.


G'nite y'all!


Next week, when I return to the dentist for Round Two, you can damn well bet I'm taking the pain medicine this time- geesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment